Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Long Way Down

Just finished watching the Long Way Down series the other day so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly, what lucky sods for being able to afford (and actually make money) to do trips like this. I'd give me eye teeth to be able to take off for months at a time and ride through the sorts of country side they have. Must check my lotto ticket...

One of the comments a lot of people have made about this and the Long Way Around is the amount of whinging that Ewen & Charlie do. Well, I don't like it either but I think to a certain extent everyone would have their bad days on a big ride like this - they were doing pretty reasonable distances over some pretty bad roads at times and this could wear thin I'd say.

Another comment people make is about how much gear they take and what sort of assistance the car crews gave them. Well, if I ever do it I doubt I'll have any support but then I won't be making a documentary or have the sort of sponsorship that they had - please Mr BMW, can I have a bike?

But back to the film itself. They went through some amazing places and saw some great sites. Ethiopia in particular stands out for me as looking very green & beautiful with some great dirt roads to boot. In fact, a lot of the roads looked like fantastic fun for adventure bikes and apart from some of the sandy bits didn't seem as tough as the roads featured in the Long Way Around.

It would have been nice to see more of the riding and even the bike preparation/maintenance rather than visits to killing fields and Unicef facilities but then it was their ride and they were supporting the charities. It would have been great to be there and see some of the wildlife and wild scenery.

Overall I enjoyed the DVD just like the previous one except that they should not really be allowed to make them as it just makes me want to get out there and do it and unfortunately I'm not in a position to do it...c'mon lotto!

No comments:

Post a Comment