Sunday, July 07, 2013

On/Off Update

Righto, so yesterday was my first outing with the new wireless back-pack and remote for the GoPro so I thought I'd do a little update.

So, what do I reckon?  Well, it's pretty damn good.  Using it carefully it's allowed me to make far more use of the battery - I shot nearly 10 gigs of non-HD video on one battery without it going completely flat.  No more leaving the camera on and hitting the record button when you want to film or take a picture.  It does make the procedure a bit more complicated but is well worth it:

  1. Turn the wireless back-pack on.  I can see it's on by checking the little LCD screen on it's back.
  2. Turn the remote on.  This then links with the back-pack and we're ready to go.
  3. Select the shooting mode.  Ok, so this is a bit tricky - you need to know what each little (as in very little) icon on the remote's screen means.
  4. Press record.  Away laughing.
To stop recording and turn off the camera:
  1. Press the record button again to stop the recording.
  2. Hold down the on/off button.  It does the normal GoPro flash, flash, flash and then switches off.
  3. Switch the back-pack off.  Now everything is off and none of the batteries are discharging.
Pretty simple and it just works.  Far easier than pressing the buttons on the camera and wondering if it's actually on or recording.

Now to just work out what all those icons on the remote mean so that I can select continuous photo shooting (one of my favourite modes) instead of burst mode - spot the differences...




6 comments:

  1. Were those on burst mode? The only difference to me seems to me the dotted white line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, except I thought it was the continuous mode...

      Delete
  2. I only dream about a GoPro ... I'll wait 'til you have all the bugs worked out and write a complete and technical description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A technical description! Heck, that was about as technical I get!

      Grab a GoPro (or one of the other options), you'll love playing with it and seeing what you can capture on your rides.

      Delete
  3. That's the fun thing about the GoPro eh Andrew .. playing with it to see what you get .. or miss. That really does look like a handy addition .. maybe one day I'll get to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's why I love the continuous shooting mode. Every time you see something interesting you wonder if the GoPro snapped it.

      Delete