Monday, February 17, 2014

Getting Ready

With the Connie having just clocked over 100,000km it was time for a bit of TLC before she is pressed into service to again ride 2,000km in 48 hours.  About every 25k she needs a set of these:


So after giving her a bath it was time to rip into it.


The pads always come out nice and easy but the fatter new ones take a bit of ja-ja-jiggling and you have to hold your tongue just right.  With 8 of them to do you get plenty of practice and they get a bit easier towards the end.  Reckon they needed changing?


After the pad change a bit of polish was swabbed around the place and that's about it in terms of bike prep.  Someone is keen to go already:


To check that I still had brakes I decided to gear up (in a sweltering 28 degree) and head out to grab the current tag.

Old tag
New tag
By the time I got home I was fairly hot so the priority was to get the windows open in the house again and find something cold and wet...

Ready to rock the South Island!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my .. 2000k's in 2 days is just waaay too much for me! Give me a little tootle in the country any day :)

    Love your co pilot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, it starts off as a tootle and then you're hooked and want more,,,

      Delete
  2. Hope those new pads work well in the wet looks like Saturday could be rain :( .Never mind early days yet plenty of time for that to change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't believe the weatherman do ya? It's gonna fine up and be awesome. Well, it better - I'm on the West Coast for a lot of Saturday...

      Delete
  3. Only 25K on a set of pads! Are they soft material? I just checked my front pads and I've ridden the bike 25K miles and they are about 20% worn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe...but she's a big, heavy and powerful bike. It also does not have a lot of engine braking due to it's back-torque limiter - my one gripe with the Connie.

      Delete
  4. New brakes are a good excuse for a quick ride. Not that you need an excuse. Good job changing those before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are in for a good ride (or a long ride in a short time!) Always nice to have breaks; do you actually have time to stop on that trip? And always good to have the mascot helping with the mechanicals.

    ReplyDelete